Friday, January 5, 2007

Thanks to our Parents!

Having our parents' support has been such a blessing for us. We weren't sure how they'd react to our decision and we're so grateful that they've been very positive. We acknowledge that such optimism about international adoption isn't always the case, as the topics, "Bad Reactions" and "Hurtful Comments" are popular topics on the Internet discussion forum which our adoption agency sponsors. We count our parents' love, support and encouragement as one of our biggest blessings.


When I (Jill) told my Dad his response was, "Wait a minute let's go sit down. I thought you were going to tell me something else." (Probably like, "Hey dad, could you watch Audrey- our baby- while we run to the store?) Then he said, "Well this is big! Where did this come from?" He thought for a minute smiled and then said, "Now are you asking for my opinion or merely telling me of your plans?" I replied, "What did you do when you told your parents 25 years ago you were going to adopt? He said, "We told them we were going to do this and we were hoping for their blessing." I replied, "Well there's your answer." He smiled knowingly. The kind of smile my whole life I have wondered, I wish I knew what you're thinking. We talked some about the pros and cons of our decision and then in my father's style as he's done my whole life, he wished us well and said, " Well of course you have my blessing!" I have always appreciated the way my dad let's us make our own decisions and then sits back and watches. Smiling when we succeed and smiling when we fall on our faces. However, always supporting us. Thanks Dad you have always been MY HERO!


When I (Jill) told my mother, Phyllis, she was cleaning out her large salt-water fish tank. (Surprise! Those slimy creatures from the blue lagoon are the only thing that Phyllis likes better than her own children.) She said, "That is wonderful!" I was shocked! I guess Shawn and I underestimated my parents. She said, "I always hoped that one of my children would follow in our footsteps." My mom was the last parent we told. We had sworn my dad to secrecy one month prior as I was not sure how my Mom would react. Every time my dad would call he would say "You're secrets still safe ....When are you going to tell your Mom?" Had I known her eventual response I would have told her and my Dad at the same time. Thanks Mom! You're the greatest!

When Shawn told his mother Joyce, once again our fears were quickly allayed. She said, "I think that is the most wonderful thing I've ever heard." Shawn replied, "Are you sure you are okay with our decision?" In a way that Joyce often does, she looked at him and said, "Shawn, of course I am okay with it. I'm a social worker!" Joyce has been such a constant in our children's lives (she lives right next door) we pleased that she reacted so positively about welcoming a new grandchild. Joyce, we would be at a loss without you!

Shawn's dad passed away 7 years ago. We draw strength in knowing that he is watching over his new little grandson from heaven.

Family support, love and respect have been so important to us through this process and we wish to thank all of our friends and family that have chosen to support us!

No comments: