Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Our very last post! (I think)

If you read below, you will gather that it has been months since we have posted. However, we wanted to add a few more thoughts before we send this blog to be printed so I believe this is the end!

Shawn and I are amazed how a conversation one Saturday morning could have changed our lives so much! I am unable to comprehend what life would be like without Adam Girum. Things have gone so smoothly that I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. After we arrived home we visited the International Adoption clinic at Primary Children's Hospital. He had tests I did not know even existed. Everything looked great! We did find out that the illness he was experiencing in Ethiopia was most likely Hepatitis A as he showed that at only three months he had contracted this disease. With this exception we feel very blessed that he is so healthy. My social worker reassures me that my tears will slow as days go by and I only hope she is correct. Adam is a constant reminder that we have been so materially blessed. I can not look at him without thinking of Ethiopia and the many beautiful people we met. Adam's arrival has reminded us at this time of the year that our material blessings can be better spent on others less fortunate than on things we really don't "need". Even little Olivia and Marissa said that we could spend their Christmas money on children in Africa. As a family we have been forever changed.

We finished our last post-placement report that requires a social worker two weeks ago. The last check has been paid and all of the paperwork is done. We have filed for naturalization, however, we are still waiting on the official word that Adam has American citizenship. We applied in July but have been told it could take up to 18 months before we receive word. (Pretty unbelievable huh?)

All in all, we could not be more pleased that Adam has attached well and gained a whopping 20 lbs in 9 months. Weighing at 11 months, 26 lbs. He is still short and only in the 4%, so we are still waiting for him to get a little taller and take the shape of something other than a football.

No comments: